4/20/2008

New York ComicCon 2008.

I usually don't go to comic conventions, but this time I had a few friends there so I decided to check out the New York ComicCon. It's a little different from STAR TREK conventions, but either way, it's NERD CENTRAL- and I'm glad to be there. I saw a lot of great stuff. I was very excited to see large scale versions (about 12" or so) of NECA's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Many of you may remember the toys are based on their comic book incarnations. I really hope they put these out soon. Speaking of TMNT, I saw famed co-creator and now sole owner of the franchise, Peter Laird. Fifteen years ago, I'd probably freak out and ask him to sign this and that, but now that I'm much older, I was perfectly content to watch him draw and sign autographs, knowing I got to see a creator of my childhood icons. However, I'm fucking stupid for not asking him to sign some toys or a print. Goddammit! At the time, I was ok but I regretted it on the train ride home. 

Another highlight was seeing DCTO creator, Dacosta Bayley, a good friend and mentor of mine. He was releasing a new print as well as displaying the upcoming mini-DCTOs over at the ToyQube booth. Exciting! I tend to not favor American Cosplayers, but there were a few good ones. Emma Frost, you stole my heart! (at least, I thought you were emma frost...) You too, girl-green-lantern-in-spandex... Anyway, I spent way too much money on prints, especially the two I bought from Bill Tucci, (who signed them) but they were well worth it. I WISH I could've seen Adam Hughes there and signed up for some original sketch art or whatever, but he's like crazy busy. He'll be at San Diego ComicCon, but I doubt I'll go to that one.

It was crowded, even for 4pm on a Saturday and I got lost very easily on the dealer floor, but eventually I figured out what was where. It could've been worse. 

Oh, by the way...


NEEERRRDDDDSSSSSSSSssss!



No comments: